Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A Man Enclosed

Dark.
Brooding.
A creature of the night.
My cloak hides my ugliness,
it protects me from nothing.
No light will shine through.
But I function despite my flaws.
It is because I wish to stay
focused on earning this edifice,
no longer comfortable in this false facade.
I will shed this skin;
molting,
emerging,
a rebirth worth wearing

***

From "Quickly's Winter Doldrums" - Jan. 12, 2016


An almost free day. A seam-easement, too. A couple of days of wiggle room. Catch up on the prompts you haven’t had time for, revisit one that didn’t work for you and look at it from a different angle or in a different mood. Combine a couple. Or just kick back.
Here’s this week’s rerun prompt. It may even be a rerun-rerun. Use it or ignore it. Fresh prompt on Friday.
Wear your spirit totem.
A costume. A manifestation of your inner self.
Your self, hidden. Your self, exposed.
What do you look like? Are you an abstract, a Calder? Are you indistinguishable from the rest of the herd or pod? Maybe talk about that. Maybe what you sound like when you move. How does it feel to be yourself writ large, and writ selectively?  Do you have background music?
What’s inside you? Talk about yourself in spirit drag.
We’ve seen these before, Nick Cave’s soundsuits. (Because I like them) But they’re just to give you some scale, some idea of motion and weird beauty. Think, also, of the Mummers Parade and the Mardi Gras Chiefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment